Reclaimer Labs has launched an STM32WB Feather development board that is based on STMicro’s first wireless STM32 MCU which was announced sometime around last year.
The STM32WB Feather board like other development boards in the STM32 family of wireless MCUs is built around the STM32WB55CG SoC which includes an 64MHz Arm Cortex‐M4 running as the main processor along with a 32MHz Cortex‐M0+ as a co-processor for Bluetooth.
The STM32WB Feather board in Adafruit feather standard, has an STM32WBCGU6 Bluetooth SoC at its core alongside other wireless and ultra-low-power features. One advantage this new line of IoT SoC has over others is that of size and space. The chipset integrates everything together into a single chip, so there’s no need for separate chips for microcontroller and radio. It can also achieve lower power sleep states thus making the board efficient at low power.
The chipset has 1MB of flash memory that is shared between the main and co-processors, a USB ROM bootloader, and 256kB of SRAM, while the board itself is equipped with an on-board chip antenna that radiates high – frequency electromagnetic waves, a wide variety of I/O, including 6x analog input pins, UART, I2C, and SPI, plus 7x digital GPIO pins.
The STM32WB Feather board also possesses embedded security hardware functions like 256-bit AES hardware encryption, PCROP read/write protection, JTAG fuse, and public-key cryptography with an elliptic curve encryption engine.
Here’s a list of some of the features and specifications that the board has:
- STMicro STM32WB55CG Bluetooth SoC with:
- Arm Cortex-M4 application core
- Arm Cortex-M0+ Bluetooth co-processor
- 256 KB SRAM
- 1 MB Flash storage (shared between main and co processors)
- USB ROM Bootloader
- 128 Mbit external SPI NOR Flash memory
- On-board chip antenna
- u.Fl connector for external antenna
- 16-pin plus 12-pin unpopulated headers with 6x analog input pins
- UART, I2C, SPI, plus 7x GPIO pins
- 1x Standard SWD debug connector
- 1x User button and LED
- 32.768 kHz crystal for LSE/RTC
- 5V power supply via micro USB port
- 2-pin battery header, and,
- LiPo battery charger
- Dimensions: Adafruit feather form factor
The company has made things easier for users by providing an example project using the STM32CubeIDE, since the STM32WB Feather Board can be programmed with STM32CubeProgrammer.