Cost-Effective MEMS Sensors Deliver Increased Performance and Reliability, Even in Unstable Pulsatile Flow and Low-Flow Conditions
Posifa Technologies introduced its new PLF2000 series of liquid flow sensors. Designed to replace mechanical turbine flow sensors, the cost-effective devices deliver increased accuracy and reliability, even in unstable pulsatile flow and low-flow conditions. Factory calibrated for water to a minimum 5 % and typical 3 % accuracy for volume calculation, the PLF2000 series’ dual digital I²C and voltage output provides high performance, flexibility, and scalability in a compact package.
The PLF2000 series features Posifa’s third-generation thermal flow die, which uses a pair of thermopiles to detect changes in temperature gradient caused by mass flow. The result is an excellent signal-to-noise ratio and repeatability of 0.5 % F.S. The solid-state thermal isolation structure on the sensor die eliminates the need for a surface cavity or fragile membrane used in competing technologies, allowing it to be placed directly in the liquid flow path with minimal packaging for higher sensitivity. In addition, the sensor die does not obstruct the flow path, allowing for minimal flow resistance and making it possible to circulate liquid via gravity, a boiler, or a low-power pump. With no moving parts, the sensor does not get stuck, suffer mechanical breakdowns, or require disassembly for cleaning and maintenance.
Key Specifications And Benefits:
- Dual digital I2C and analog output
- Compact, robust package
- Solid-state sensing core – no moving parts
- Feature Posifa’s third-generation thermal flow die
- Measure flow rates up to 0.7 l/min (PLF2105) and 10 l/min (PLF2135)
- Extremely fast response times of 5 ms typical
- Excellent signal-to-noise ratio and repeatability of 0.5 % F.S.
- Operating temperature range of +5 °C to +75 °C
- Comply with NSF/ANSI 61: Drinking Water System Components — Health Effects
- Coffee and espresso machines
- Water dispensers, purifiers, and filtration systems
- Beverage vending machines
- Detergent vending machines
- Cleaning chemical mixing systems
- Liquid cooling systems
Measuring flow rates up to 700 ml/min (PLF2105) and 10 l/min (PLF2135), the devices offer extremely fast response times of 5 ms typical and operate over a +5 °C to +75 °C temperature range. The sensors comply with NSF/ANSI 61: Drinking Water System Components — Health Effects and can be used safely in water and beverage appliances. Posifa has the scalability and production capacity to meet any high-volume application, making the PLF2000 series one of the most cost-effective solutions on the market. Customers may contact the company to discuss options for customizing the sensors’ specifications.